Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Loser

I Know Why You’re a Loser

Every drivers meeting our esteemed El President tells you to take it slow your first run and learn the course, but you don’t listen. You know you should walk the course and try to memorize it, but you end up shooting the breeze with someone next to you while you’re out there.
The starter sends you on your way, and it’s full throttle, banzai, look out course workers.

Is this your problem, loser?

Well, it certainly is my problem. I gotta tell you about the last 2 times I drove, what I learned, and then maybe we can start a 12 step program for people like us.
At our last event, Joe K. came up to me Saturday and said “you sure drove like crap today”. I like people who say what they mean, so I wasn’t offended, and I knew he was right.
The next day, I walked the course (by myself), memorized it the best I could, forced myself to go slow the first time out, and thought about where I could safely go a little faster. I went half a second faster each run, for a total of 2 seconds by the fourth, all 4 clean runs, and got FTD.
Then I went to the Autocross/Drag combined event most of you skipped. There were no Mod cars, not even Mod drag cars, so I didn’t really have anybody to race, and I saw the track when I went out to set the lights, so I didn’t walk the course, and didn’t do the drive through.
My first run was a plus 24, second a plus 12, the third run I figured I had better put one in the bank so I could really give it all on the fourth. Guess what? I remembered the last chicane being 3 gates, but I got there and there was 4. Drove right by it for a plus10. Now I have 1 run left and I am behind just about everybody. I really slowed down and got a clean run, finally. I could have gone probably 1or 2 seconds faster if I had gone faster each run instead of slower.

I saw J.P. Montoya describe a track while they ran in car footage. I was not surprised that he described every gear change, etc., but I was surprised that he described it synchronized to the real time video. That’s how memorized he has that track. It’s more difficult for an autocrosser than a Formula One driver because we don’t get to practice, so we need to work that much harder.

All you losers need to really put some effort into memorizing the course. I think after 10 years I have finally learned my lesson, maybe it won’t take you so long.

Disclaimer: This may not be the only reason you’re a loser, but it’s the only subject where I feel I may be qualified to help you.

No comments: