Monday, March 05, 2007

The National Tour


This is a reprint of the very first Ward’s World, all the way back in 1997, (I think).
With the National Tour coming up in July at Packwood, I thought it might inspire some of you to go.

Ward’s World
by Steve Ward

The National Tour

Ward’s World; Friday night, Location; a very large parking lot.
After a very pleasant bull session around the barbeque, I find that I have had several too many beers. I wander around the deserted facility, looking at the race cars and tow vehicles scattered about. Suddenly a bell rings out, and a few minutes later, a small crowd of Boeing workers shuffle out into the lot. Most seem oblivious to the unusual cars in their parking lot, but a few stop and look. I watch as two men, the swing shift stupor still in their eyes, light up cigarettes
and check out the scene. They notice a car over my direction, they sense there is something different about this car, I guess. It’s a Spitfire, painted black and white checkers. But after a couple minutes, they get bored and get in their Chevy Citations, or some other bland device, and drive away. I marvel at how they are uninterested in an event I drove 300 miles to be a part of. They haven’t got a clue. The idea for this article is clear as crystal to me.

Saturday; Early in the morning.
The sun wakes me up and I discover Ward’s World is a place where everything is loud, my head hurts, and the only thing clear is that I will be lucky to not barf in my helmet. I am at an event with something like 250 people from all over North America, and I am the very first car out.....,to be followed by the fastest autocross car in the world. No pressure there! They are running cars every 25 seconds, what if he catches me? What if my car disgraces itself in a pool of vital fluids, he spins on it, and hits a light pole? I’m freaking out!
By my third run I have finally calmed down enough to get a clean run.

Sunday; Much better today, still not driving well, but not bad. I get 2 DNF’s and a good run on my third attempt.

Sunday; Late at night, Location, an endless stretch of Interstate.
That last cup of coffee combined with the sounds of Blue Oyster Cult and 80 German horsepower pushing 4000 pounds of steel down the highway, produce an altered state of consciousness that brings my thoughts from Friday night back to me again.

My first National Tour will not be my last.

No comments: